With Altaro VM Backup, you can send a redundant copy of your backups to an offsite location via a WAN/VPN/Internet connection, this is an ideal tool for Disaster Recovery purposes. This is also required for fiber connections from site-to-site.
To do so, please follow the steps below:
A. Set up the Altaro Offsite Server tool on the offsite machine
The Altaro Offsite Server tool can be installed on a machine at the other end of a WAN connection and be used as a backup target for your offsite backups.
Important: TCP Ports 35116, 35117 and 35120 [used for Replication] (V8) & 35116, 35117 (V7) are used for communication between the Altaro VM software and the Altaro Offsite Server and must be allowed through.
Also, ensure the machine meets the minimum system requirements for Altaro Offsite Servers.
To install and configure the Altaro Offsite Server:
- Download and run the installer from here: http://www.altaro.com/vm-backup/download-tools.php
- Once installed, launch the Altaro Offsite Server application from the Windows Start Menu
- You will then be prompted with this screen, choose to connect to [This Machine] and enter the Windows credentials to log in:
- Once connected you will be able to monitor/configure your Altaro Offsite Server. Once connected, click [Setup] > [Configure Accounts] and then [Add Account] to setup the connection account details for this Altaro Offsite Server as shown below:
- Set the Offsite Copy Location and credentials you prefer and then click [Save]
You can also monitor backups from the Dashboard section, which will show you current activity, backup/restore history and events. Note: One Altaro Offsite Server can be used as an offsite location for multiple Altaro VM Backup installations.
B. Configure your new Altaro Offsite Server as an Offsite Backup Location
To use your newly set up Altaro Offsite Server as an offsite copy location for your VMs, please proceed as follows:
- Open the Altaro VM Backup management console and go to Setup > Backup Locations
- Click [Add Offsite Location]
- Choose the [Altaro Offsite Server] option and click [Next]
Enter the IP address and credentials to connect to the Altaro Offsite Server you configured in Section A, then click [Test Connection] to verify you have the correct settings.
Note: If the connection is failing, check that there is no more than a 5 minute time difference between the two machines, AND ensure your firewall is allowing through TCP Ports 35116, 35117 & 35120
- (Optional) At this stage you may choose to set a threshold of maximum backup size that will be allowed to be transferred over the WAN connection. If this threshold is exceeded, the offsite copy task will fail and require you to Seed your data again (see Section C below). Once the connection test is successful, simply click on [Finish]
Lastly, select the VMs you wish to assign to this rotation and Drag and Drop them from the VM list on the left into the newly created Drive Rotation, then click [Save Changes] to complete.
Once done, either start an Offsite Copy manually from the [Offsite Copies] menu, or wait for your next Scheduled Offsite Copy job.
C. (Optional) Seed your first Offsite Backup to avoid a large offsite transfer
When backing up to an Altaro Offsite Server, it's likely that the bandwidth to that server may be limited, so Altaro VM Backup has the option to manually transport the first full backup to the Altaro Offsite Server on a removable disk. This will then allow you to import it on the offsite Altaro Offsite Server and run only incremental copies over the WAN connection, we call this process Seeding to disk.
- Firstly, you will need a removable disk connected to your Altaro VM Backup console
Once done, open the management console and go to [Offsite Copies]
Select the tickbox(es) near the VM(s) you wish to transfer the backups for and click the [Seed To Disk] button at the top of the page as below:
- You will then be prompted to select the location you wish to seed to. Select your location and click Seed To Disk. The seeding will proceed in the background, and when complete you can disconnect the drive and physically take it to your offsite Altaro Offsite Server.
Once the removable disk has been connected to your offsite Altaro Offsite Server:
- Launch the [Altaro Offsite Server] console from the Start Menu
- Then go to [Setup] > [Configure Accounts], then click on [Import Seed...]
- On the next screen, browse to the removable drive (and subfolder if applicable) where you exported the seeded data to, select it and click [Start Seed Import]. It will begin to import the seed data to the Altaro Offsite Server's backup repository and show progress as below:
- Once complete, the next offsite copy of the VM(s) you seeded will be of incremental changes (since the time the seeded data was exported) only.