Answered

W2008r2 Restore Problem

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to restore a 2008r2 (uptodate) physical server on w2016 Hyper-v host.

I'm restoring using VHDX (not VM) way.

I created a Gen1 VM with same Procs and memoryt of the physical server and linked the resotred vhdx file (one file with 3 volumes) as an IDE disk.

Botting up the VM i see a windows recovery prompt. Goingo on with boot process i get a BSOD telling me to check new installed hw and run chkdsk /f on the disks.

Any suggestion please? 

Thank you in advance and best regards.

Fabio

Best Answer

Hi Fabio,

It sounds like the version of 2008R2 here is a Windows Server 2008 R2 (UEFI [Unified Extensible Firmware Interface] which is not supported by Microsoft unfortunately:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/plan/Should-I-create-a-generation-1-or-2-virtual-machine-in-Hyper-V 

This means that when we attempt to restore the VM, it will be restored as a Generation 2 VM and it won't be able to boot. Also, ensure that you are running the latest build of Altaro Physical Server Backup as we have made improvements to notify you that the configuration of that VM is not a supported one.

As it stands, you can still mount the VHDX files and get any data you wish that way.

1 Comment

Answer

Hi Fabio,

It sounds like the version of 2008R2 here is a Windows Server 2008 R2 (UEFI [Unified Extensible Firmware Interface] which is not supported by Microsoft unfortunately:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/plan/Should-I-create-a-generation-1-or-2-virtual-machine-in-Hyper-V 

This means that when we attempt to restore the VM, it will be restored as a Generation 2 VM and it won't be able to boot. Also, ensure that you are running the latest build of Altaro Physical Server Backup as we have made improvements to notify you that the configuration of that VM is not a supported one.

As it stands, you can still mount the VHDX files and get any data you wish that way.

Login or Signup to post a comment

© Altaro All rights reserved.