Answered

Backup of Guest VM?

Can Altaro Physical Backup be used to backup a server guest VM running on a freeware ESXi host?  This VMware guest VM is running Windows Server 2012 R2.

Best Answer

If APB is installed in the guest VM, then backups run on that guest OS level, it is not aware of whether or not this is a VM, unlike Altaro VM Backup it is not an agentless backup so does not require the host OS functions.

As I have previously mentioned, this is not an option for restoring your VMs. It will not work.

Hi John, what do you plan to restore the backups to should you need them?

Hi Matt, I would restore it to a Hyper-V host, assuming that would be possible, but more importantly have the option to extract important content from the backup image.

Still, my original question remains unanswered?  Can Altaro Physical Backup be used to backup a server guest VM running on a freeware ESXi host? 

I'm simply trying to get the full picture before telling you if its supported or not as there are a few different parts you need to look into.

For example, restoring to a Freeware ESXi Host will not be possible as the free edition of VMware will not allow backup/restore API calls

So while you can run an "agent based" backup, then you would not be able to restore that VM without a paid VMware license

So is that a "yes" to my original question?   Can Altaro Physical Backup be used to backup a server guest VM running on a freeware ESXi host? 

I understand your concern about the limitations of the freeware ESXi host.  I only wish to know whether the Altaro Physical Backup can be used to back up a server guest VM running on a freeware ESXi host.  My goal is simply to have the ability to create an image backup of that guest VM that I can either restore to a Hyper-V host or simply from which I can extract needed content in the event of the loss of that ESXi host.

Any update on this question?

Answer

If APB is installed in the guest VM, then backups run on that guest OS level, it is not aware of whether or not this is a VM, unlike Altaro VM Backup it is not an agentless backup so does not require the host OS functions.

As I have previously mentioned, this is not an option for restoring your VMs. It will not work.

Login or Signup to post a comment

© Altaro All rights reserved.