Answered

Restore 2008R2 physical Server as VM

I have two physical 2008 R2 Servers which i backed up to a Network share. Now i want to restore them as a VM on an 2019 Hyper-V Server. The first issue i had, was that i couldn't restore a 2008 R2 to a 2019 Hyper-V from the Altaro Backup installation of the physical Server. The error was, that a restore of a 2008 R2 Server is not supported. I did a research and found out, that I need a newer OS to restore a 2008 R2. So, I installed the physical Server Backup Software on the 2019 Hyper-V host, while this is also not supported according to the system requirements. But I only want to do a restore of a VM, not a backup of the host. The next issue I had was the space on the disks. The physical server had about 4TB of disks, but only about 100GB were used. The used backup space is about 30GB only. Now, the restore fails again because of the lack of storage space. He really wants the 4TB Space which I don't have on the host. Is there any way the restore to VM uses dynamicaly sized VHDX?

Otherwise the product is not useable for us.

Best Answer

OK, in that case we have an override that will bypass the check for free space before the restore, please go ahead and create the exact file as per the path below:

C:\ProgramData\Altaro\AltaroPhysicalServerBackup\Overrides\freespace_override.txt

If the overrides folder does not exist, please create it.

Then try the restore again.

Hi Steffen,

System requirements can be found here:  https://help.altaro.com/support/discussions/topics/43000519102 

Server 2019 is indeed supported.

Regarding the disk size issue, I believe this was already resolved in version 2.0.8

Kindly upgrade and let us know if the issue persists 

HI Matt,

I know that Server 2019 is supported, that was not the issue. The first issue was, that Server 2008 R2 is supported for backup, but not for restore to a VM. This should be more clear in the system requirements.

The second issue is not resolved, I was using version 2.0.8!

Answer

OK, in that case we have an override that will bypass the check for free space before the restore, please go ahead and create the exact file as per the path below:

C:\ProgramData\Altaro\AltaroPhysicalServerBackup\Overrides\freespace_override.txt

If the overrides folder does not exist, please create it.

Then try the restore again.

Hi Matt,

before I try this: did you understand my question? Does Altaro Backup use fixed sized VHD for restore to a VM? In this case, the override will not work, cause i won't have the space on the destination.

Yes I have understood your question.

The restore will always create a dynamically expanding virtual disk, not a fixed size VHDX. 

Hello Mat, 

I have the same problem with the place.

Can I really just create a file, nothing in it?

Thanks

Login or Signup to post a comment

© Altaro All rights reserved.