Answered

A timeout occurred while transferring data during the backup operation

Hi Guy's.

I', trying to backup a physical server 

and I'm getting failed backup..

The error is:

What does it mean? I'm logged in to that server and everything looks fine..

Regards,

Moti

Best Answer

Kindly try the following:

1. Browse to: C:\ProgramData\Altaro\AltaroPhysicalServerBackup\Overrides (if this folder does not exist, please create it)
  2. Open queue_timeout.txt in notepad (if this file does not exist, please create it)
  3. Set the value to 43200000 , which Should look something like this:

4. Save and close the file
  5. Restart the Altaro Physical Server Backup services and try the backup again

This will increase the number of milliseconds wanted as a queue timeout during backup or restore operations. 

Let us know how it goes.

The error describes high IO rates at the time of backup causing timeouts when writing to your backup target.

It does look to be an intermittent issue though... so perhaps there are some other tasks happening at the time of backup causing high IOPS?

May I suggest you try to change your backup schedule to run a couple of hours later, or earlier and see if the issue persists?

Thanks Matt for your quick reply.. the schedule is in the night.. So there shouldn't be any  High IOPS.. 

I have tried to start the backup manually and It seems to got stuck on 50% and there is no stress on that server now..

Is there a log file to see what was the problem (or process) that causes the failed backup?

Indeed - logs for each operation can be found here: C:\ProgramData\Altaro\AltaroPhysicalServerBackup\Logs\OpControllers

you should be looking for a log named:  YYYY-MM-DD*****Backup_****_Failed.log

What can you understand  from that log?

what was the reason for the failed?

Do you want that I'll attach another log?

log

Any idea what causing the high i/o or the CPU load? because i'm getting just errors every day .. 

Have you checked for any disk or ntfs errors/warnings in your windows system event log?

Performance monitor should also be able to give you an indication of IO usage.

Thanks for your help Matt, Where to start checking? 

I'm having the same issue with one of our Windows 2012 R2 Servers.

OK Calvin, have you gone through the steps detailed in the thread above?

What were the results?

Yes, I do not see any disk or ntfs errors. The backup starts at 1 am when there is less activity. I even increased the CPU and Ram and still did not fix the problem.

Answer

Kindly try the following:

1. Browse to: C:\ProgramData\Altaro\AltaroPhysicalServerBackup\Overrides (if this folder does not exist, please create it)
  2. Open queue_timeout.txt in notepad (if this file does not exist, please create it)
  3. Set the value to 43200000 , which Should look something like this:

4. Save and close the file
  5. Restart the Altaro Physical Server Backup services and try the backup again

This will increase the number of milliseconds wanted as a queue timeout during backup or restore operations. 

Let us know how it goes.

1 person likes this

Hi again Calvin & Moti, could you update me on this one? did increasing the timeout work successfully?

Yes, increasing the timeout worked for me.

Great, thanks Calvin! Glad it's sorted

Login or Signup to post a comment

© Altaro All rights reserved.