Answered

Restore to VM Fails to Start

I have transported a Physical Backup, Server 2008, from a remote location and dropped the 500Gb folder into the Hyper-V Host (Server 2019 DataCenter). I was able to restore this physical server to a VM but on boot of the VM I get the Blue Screen of trouble.

Just to note the 2019 Host is also running Altaro Backup.

All integration services are installed.

The Physical backup used would have been the latest version at the time v1.1.0.6 (August 13). The Server 2008 did previously have the Beta version and was uninstalled and version 1.1.0.6 was installed before this backup was created.

Best Answer

Hi Justin, thank you for your response.

The physical server 2008 is an IBM ThinkServer TS130 with on-board Intel SATA RAID Controller. The 2 x 1Tb drives are configured as RAID1. I have tried the above mentioned scenario creating a VHD but I get the same error when starting the VM. I then tried to run Recovery mode and run chkdks on the drive and it found many Table & Volume Bitmap errors which were repaired but then the Drive would no longer boot.

I have given up on this process and have created a VHDX using Disk2VHD from Sysinternals.

I found that the size of the VHDX is much smaller than the Altaro Physical Backup and also smaller by 100Gb from the VHD which was created from the Altaro restore process. The laborious part is moving these large files around, especially when SFTPing from remote server to our dataCentre NAS then moving the VHDX over to our Office Lab for mounting.. It's now live & running from the VHDX created from Sysinternals Disk2VHD. It's possible some driver support is missing for the Intel SATA RAID controller within the Altaro Physical backup.

This whole process was prompted when we had to take over this new client's infrastructure and before initiating a LAN document Landscape migration to this file server it was best to take a snapshot of this older box for possible Hyper-V VM porting in the near future. Hmm, might be halfway there now..

0x7B is typically a missing disk controller driver during boot. We used to see this in the old days when we needed to rescue broken RAID arrays etc.  When you move a Windows boot volume to a controller it doesn't know about you get the 0x7B blue screen.  Sounds like maybe the Hyper-V SCSI controller drivers didn't get injected properly into the VM.

I've only just used the Altaro P2V backup solution for the first time today.  I had to perform the physical server backup to a network share, then perform the restore.  In my case since you can't change the Hyper-V destination volume away from C: (and there certainly was not enough space there) I had to use the restore to VHD option instead.  Once the VHD images were created I attached them to a newly created VM and it booted right up.  So it sounds like Altaro PSB is successfully merging the Hyper-V controller drivers in there, but I'm not sure at what stage that occurs.

Long story short, you might try restoring to the VHD images instead, drop those into the 2019 box, attach them to a new VM and see what happens.

Answer

Hi Justin, thank you for your response.

The physical server 2008 is an IBM ThinkServer TS130 with on-board Intel SATA RAID Controller. The 2 x 1Tb drives are configured as RAID1. I have tried the above mentioned scenario creating a VHD but I get the same error when starting the VM. I then tried to run Recovery mode and run chkdks on the drive and it found many Table & Volume Bitmap errors which were repaired but then the Drive would no longer boot.

I have given up on this process and have created a VHDX using Disk2VHD from Sysinternals.

I found that the size of the VHDX is much smaller than the Altaro Physical Backup and also smaller by 100Gb from the VHD which was created from the Altaro restore process. The laborious part is moving these large files around, especially when SFTPing from remote server to our dataCentre NAS then moving the VHDX over to our Office Lab for mounting.. It's now live & running from the VHDX created from Sysinternals Disk2VHD. It's possible some driver support is missing for the Intel SATA RAID controller within the Altaro Physical backup.

This whole process was prompted when we had to take over this new client's infrastructure and before initiating a LAN document Landscape migration to this file server it was best to take a snapshot of this older box for possible Hyper-V VM porting in the near future. Hmm, might be halfway there now..

Glad you got it going.  It's certainly weird issue you have.

This kind of relationship between the hardware and software is a big part of why I'm virtualizing everything in the first place.  Hardware abstraction is fantastic.

I've also used Disk2VHD in the past.  It's a great tool.  I actually use it to capture employees' workstation environments before they get a new PC or when they leave the company.  Then we can boot the VM on a Hyper-V host and access any apps or files that were left behind if there's an urgent need.  In the case of a new PC deployment, I leave the VM running for a while and the user can RDP into their "old machine" if the hit any speed bumps on the new PC.

That is certainly the way to go for replacing the desktops..

I'm always running into Server disaster situations, of the old kind, having to revive and then VM them. Then have the VM run parallel for clients while we install and replace the sick ailing 15year old plus boxes...  they seem to be everywhere these days. I like your suggestion in a  post about integrating the Physical Backup into Altaro Backup Restore repository.. now that would be swift.

Referenced:

Physical backup to VM restore - change destination drive?

I have not yet attempted the VM to physical, it seems more work than I'd prefer, by just reinstalling server OS/apps/services seems to give more prudence. This would also give you the opportunity the to upgrade with a fresh current OS.

I really hope they integrate that capability in future releases.  Seems a missed opportunity to me.

I've never tried or needed to go VM back to physical.  But, why bother?  I think the only sensible way to convert a VM back to physical (presumably after a rescue of some sort) would be to install the free Hyper-V server on the hardware, then import the VM.  I think even if I was to need to deploy a simple, single server on a client site, at this point I'd still probably do it this way just to divorce the mission-critical OS from the hardware.  If they have a license for 2016 or 2019 that's even better, but for the older systems that need to be rescued this is the way to go.  The hypervisor is free.  I've been surprised at how many apps actually run just fine without the Explorer shell on Hyper-V server (including Altaro VM backup and Offsite server, by the way).  I just make shortcuts to the app's executable and drop them into the root of my user folder on the box so I can launch the apps easily, and you can still RDP into the box as well.

I did IT-for-hire for 11 years.  Challenging for sure.  Several years ago one of my clients got big enough to hire me full time and I've never looked back.  Now we have 40 people and 100+ PCs across two buildings.  And I still take care of the wife's office as a side gig.

Login or Signup to post a comment

© Altaro All rights reserved.