Answered

Future Features

Hi,

Not sure if there's a roadmap for the future features but if possible a rough idea would be good. We've got a handful of clients which currently use LiveDrive as an offsite. We've confirmed that we can swap them over the Microsoft Azure Server Backup but ideally we'd like to hold off and go straight to Altaro depending on the time frame.

• 2 drive rotation - At the moment we can only set a single backup location however half of our physical server clients have two drives which they swap and we're currently having to update the backup target in Altaro whenever they swap the drive.

• Azure offsites - Similar to that of VM backup. The other half of our clients have a single onsite location and then have their offsite via LiveDrive which is what we wish to swap to Azure.

• File level restore - This is quite a big one for us which I didn't actually realise physical backup didn't yet do. When the end users deletes a file accidently in some cases based on the size of the server it's not going to be possible to restore the VHD and then pull the file from there.

• Physical restore - The current functionality of restoring to a VM is brilliant, and we'll be able to offer business continuity by doing so and hosting it on our own hardware with a site-to-site VPN temporarily for the customers, however in other cases it'd be really good just to restore straight back to a new server.

None of the above are at all complaints, the software is great considering it's just out of beta.

I'm just hoping to get an idea of time frames for the above to avoid changing backup software twice.

Thanks,
Ross

Best Answer

Hi Ross,

Thanks for reaching out.

I am happy to share with you that our roadmap for Altaro Physical Server Backup includes several of the features you are requesting.

In the coming months we will be supporting offsite backup copies to the Altaro Offsite Server, and later on to Azure Blob storage.

File level restore is also planned and will allow you to recover files and folders granularly.

We are also working on bare metal restores so you will also be able to cater for situations where customers require to restore their physical servers back to physical machines.

We have no plans to support drive swap rotations since customers who would like to have a secondary copy on the premise, or off the site can make use of the Altaro Offsite Server when this is supported.

On another note, I am not able to provide you with any dates for now, but we are all hands on deck, so the above mentioned features will come soon :)

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need anything else.

1 Comment

Answer

Hi Ross,

Thanks for reaching out.

I am happy to share with you that our roadmap for Altaro Physical Server Backup includes several of the features you are requesting.

In the coming months we will be supporting offsite backup copies to the Altaro Offsite Server, and later on to Azure Blob storage.

File level restore is also planned and will allow you to recover files and folders granularly.

We are also working on bare metal restores so you will also be able to cater for situations where customers require to restore their physical servers back to physical machines.

We have no plans to support drive swap rotations since customers who would like to have a secondary copy on the premise, or off the site can make use of the Altaro Offsite Server when this is supported.

On another note, I am not able to provide you with any dates for now, but we are all hands on deck, so the above mentioned features will come soon :)

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need anything else.

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment

© Altaro All rights reserved.