Answered

Error - Shadow Copy 790

Hi,

I'm backing up a Dell t30 mirrored drives using RST.

A daily schedule.

Every 2nd or 3rd day I get the following error.

The Shadow Copy operation failed with error code: 790 

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Best Answer

Hi Tim, a VSS Error 790 usually means that there is a potential issue with a disk connected to the machine. I suggest starting by checking the following:

1. Ensure that there is a minimum of 10% free disk space on each of the source drives, VSS requires this in order to run successfully

2. Check the Windows 'System' event log for any disk issues, normally coming from source 'DISK' or 'NTFS'. Disk errors can and normally will cause VSS failures, thus should be looked into before proceeding with the backup

3. Check if there is any other backup software running at the same time, this can cause VSS conflicts resulting in the above error.  If so, schedules should be adjusted so that the two products do not run concurrently

1 Comment

Answer

Hi Tim, a VSS Error 790 usually means that there is a potential issue with a disk connected to the machine. I suggest starting by checking the following:

1. Ensure that there is a minimum of 10% free disk space on each of the source drives, VSS requires this in order to run successfully

2. Check the Windows 'System' event log for any disk issues, normally coming from source 'DISK' or 'NTFS'. Disk errors can and normally will cause VSS failures, thus should be looked into before proceeding with the backup

3. Check if there is any other backup software running at the same time, this can cause VSS conflicts resulting in the above error.  If so, schedules should be adjusted so that the two products do not run concurrently
Login or Signup to post a comment

© Altaro All rights reserved.