Answered

Product Architecture?

I've been plowing through the various info tidbits, but did not see anything on overall architecture.  Can someone answer a few questions for me?

Does this need to be installed on each server that is going to be backed up, or is a central console approach available where you install in on a single server and then place agents on others that need to be backed up?

If this is not a centralized approach, does this mean that if I have 5 servers this has to be installed on every one of them and then managed separately?

I only have physical Hyper-v Hosts and a domain controller, so it sounds like this may not be a good fit?

Best Answer

Correct, the freeware version of  Altaro Physical server Backup is not a centrally managed product yet - the new version towards the end of the year through will indeed be managed through our CMC platform and this will be a paid license, not freeware.

As for your hyper-v hosts, Altaro Physical server Backup does not support backing up the hyper-v host itself, it is aimed at non hypervisor servers.

That said, the Hyper-V Host should not have anything aside from VMs running on it so normally a one off, or periodic backup using Windows Server Backup should be enough to cover your needs, as the data that is changing would be inside the VMs themselves, which Altaro VM Backup would be backing up regularly.

We actually have a more detailed blog article about this here if you're interested in further reading:

http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/hyper-v-backup-strategies-dont-worry-management-os/

1 Comment

Answer

Correct, the freeware version of  Altaro Physical server Backup is not a centrally managed product yet - the new version towards the end of the year through will indeed be managed through our CMC platform and this will be a paid license, not freeware.

As for your hyper-v hosts, Altaro Physical server Backup does not support backing up the hyper-v host itself, it is aimed at non hypervisor servers.

That said, the Hyper-V Host should not have anything aside from VMs running on it so normally a one off, or periodic backup using Windows Server Backup should be enough to cover your needs, as the data that is changing would be inside the VMs themselves, which Altaro VM Backup would be backing up regularly.

We actually have a more detailed blog article about this here if you're interested in further reading:

http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/hyper-v-backup-strategies-dont-worry-management-os/

Login or Signup to post a comment

© Altaro All rights reserved.