Version 8 of VM Backup brings a brand new look to the Offsite Backup Server, and many backend improvements too.
Below is some important information regarding the Offsite Backup Server Management Console for users that have upgraded from v6 to v7/v8.
- VM Backup v7 will install both v6 and v7 of the Offsite Backup Server on the same machine
- The v8 Offsite Backup Server Management Console only supports VM Backup v7/8 Clients
- Clients using v6 can still be configured on the same machine, using the v6 Offsite Backup Server
Use the new v8 Offsite Backup Server Management console to monitor Offsite Copies of VMs which:
- Had a first backup taken in v7/v8
- Had a first backup taken in v6 but have been migrated to v7/v8 and have had deduplication enabled
Use the older v6 Offsite Backup Server management console to monitor and manage Offsite Copies of VMs which are still being taken by VM Backup v6. You can access the old v6 Offsite Backup Server management console from here:
C:\Program Files\Altaro\Altaro Backup\BackupServer\Altaro.BackupServer.ManagementConsole.exe
Notes about Deduplication
Version 7/8 now offers deduplication of your backup data (more info here). After the upgrade from v6 to v8, please note that:
- Deduplication will be disabled by default on any VM backup taken previously by v5 or v6
- If deduplication is enabled on one of the VMs a full backup will be taken to local backup location., however a regular incremental will follow to your offsite backup location
- Reseeding to your offsite location will not be required because the software will automatically reseed from the previous Offsite Copy versions already available
Note: The first backup and offsite copy duration after enabling deduplication will be longer than usual due to the above process being done in the background.
For further information about migration please contact email@example.com