Note: If you are upgrading from Version 5 or 6, ensure that you read the following article beforehand.
STEP 1: Upgrade your License Key
- If you're using Subscription Licensing, skip to Step 2
- If you have a current Software Maintenance Agreement (SMA), you are entitled to a free upgrade to v8
- If your SMA has expired, you may purchase the upgrade - click here for upgrade pricing. Please contact your Altaro Partner or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to renew it before upgrading
- Click here for instructions on checking your SMA status
Version 7 keys will NOT work in Version 8!
If you do not already have a V8 License Key, please click here to upgrade it before proceeding any further
Altaro Partners: Log into the Partner Portal to access all your customers’ v8 keys
STEP 2: Upgrade your Installation
The upgrade process below from version 5.x, 6.x, 7.x to 8.0 will keep all your settings and previous backups.
First, uninstall Altaro VM Backup from the Windows Programs and Features screen, then simply download v8.0 using the download link below, and run the installer.
The installation of v8.0 will NOT require a reboot (unless a previous reboot is already pending from some other installation)
(The V8 offsite Altaro Offsite Server installation file can be downloaded here)
- If you are running Windows Server 2008 R2, Service Pack 1 needs to be installed.
- Altaro VM Backup 8.6.23 and onwards requires .NET 4.7.2 installed, here's how to check and upgrade .NET
- V8 is compatible with all the same Operating Systems as V7
- V8 introduces Replication, this uses an additional port 35120
- Please see our latest System Requirements for more information
As always our support team are here to assist if you have any trouble during the upgrade, so please feel free to get in touch if you need us! Our contact details are at the bottom of this page.