Before you start...
1. Altaro Offsite Server (CP Managed): If your Altaro Offsite Server installation is managed by CP, kindly contact support before proceeding.
2. Migration is only supported to a machine is running the Altaro Offsite Server only i.e. you cannot migrate to a machine that also has an Altaro VM Backup running.
The Altaro Offsite Server automatically backs up its configuration to your configured backup locations. This allows you to restore the configuration to another machine in case of a disaster or if you need to migrate it to another machine. The configuration is saved in the 'ConfigBackup' folder in the configured backup locations.
It is important to note that:
- The Altaro Offsite Server Console must be closed
- The target machine being used to restore the configuration must have a clean Altaro Offsite Server installation
To start the migration, proceed as follows:
- Install the latest version of the Altaro Offsite Server on the new machine
- Uninstall Altaro Offsite Server from the old machine. This is a really important step; failure to do so could result in data corruption from having both consoles running at the same time.
- Unzip the tool and right-click on "Altaro.Apps.AttachConfig.exe" and Run as Administrator
- The AttachConfig tool will pop up
- When prompted, enter your backup location (this needs to be supplied as previously configured in Altaro backup location). NOTE: if the backup location is a network location, you will be prompted to enter the domain credentials in order to access the configuration backup.
- The services are stopped, the last backed up product configuration version is restored, and the services are then started automatically.
Next, make sure to follow the steps below in order to complete the migration:
- Go to [Setup] [Configure Accounts]
- Click on the [Edit] pencil icon next to each account and re-enter the password. If you are using a Network path as the Offsite copy location, make sure to re-enter that password as well.
This is a required step as passwords are not migrated from the old machine.
- If the IP/Hostname is going to be changing, ensure that it's updated from the Altaro VM Backup installations
- If the offsite backup location is also going to be changing, you can simply copy the "AltaroV7S" folder (on the old backup location) to the new location. The best way to move the backup folder is through Robocopy as you might encounter issues with long file path name through a normal Windows copy.
The syntax for Robocopy can be found below, which can be run through a normal command line window:
robocopy /mir /fft /j /r:10 /w:10
Once that's done, the next offsite backup will continue using the same backup set and will only be transferring incremental changes