To upgrade VM Backup please follow the following three steps:
- In order to check which version you are running, simply open the VM Backup Management Console and then check for the version number at the bottom left hand side of the console.
If you are for some reason unable to open the Management Console, the version may also be found from the Windows Programs and Features.
- Exit the VM Backup Management Console from the top right control box.
- If upgrading from an older build of V8, proceed to Step 4.
If upgrading from V7 to V8, follow the steps here.
If upgrading from V5, V6 to V8, follow the steps here.
- Download the latest version of VM Backup from the button below:
- If you are running Windows Server 2008 R2, Service Pack 1 needs to be installed.
- VM Backup 8.24 and onwards requires .NET 4.7.2 installed, here's how to check and upgrade .NET
- Launch the installer and follow the on screen wizard
Your old backup settings, backup history and license key information will be migrated to the new version automatically.
The only difference between a first time installation and an upgrade is that the management console must be closed before attempting to upgrade. If the installer detects that the management console is running then you will be prompted to close it.
Note: It is good practice to temporarily disable any on-access virus scanning during the upgrade and to ensure no backups are in progress at the time of upgrade either.